Friday, July 26, 2013

Praise

One of the ways I most connect with the Father is through music. This may be a shock to those who know me as I am the one child in my family NOT gifted with musical ability. Something about praising the Holy One through song just gets me connected to the Lord in a special way. Several songs came to mind as I thought about the topic of this blog post, and they'll be sprinkled along the way.


This is my prayer in the fire,
And weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames

I will bring praise
I will bring praise

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

(Parts of Desert Song by Hillsong)

There are two reasons that this song came to mind. And specifically, two words. Those words I put in bold because they speak to how Matt and I feel a lot of days. We "will" bring praise. Our praise is not something that should only be done when we feel like it, are having a good day, or something awesome happens to us (like winning the lottery). Praise is a choice, and sometimes we have to set our hearts and minds to that fact that we WILL praise. 

Along these same lines, the second word that stands out is "every". In "every" season. All of our life. And the reason we can praise and will praise all of our life, in every season is because God is still God. He still has a plan for us and he is sovereign. This thought, the Lord's sovereignty, brings me to the real reason for this post.

Sovereign one
You work all things to your plan
Sovereign one
You hold all things in your hands

Perfect in power. You control all things
Perfect in wisdom. You know everything
Perfect in goodness
Jesus You're so good to me
So good to me

(Sovereign One by Sovereign Grace Music)

Something that has brought us great joy and led us to praise during the past few weeks has been to look back and see the Lord's sovereignty working through time and our lives, orchestrating His perfect plan for me, for Matt, for Bud, and for all of our family. I would love to tell all the details, all the stories, and all the ways we've seen sovereignty but that might take a novel. Below are a few of the things that stood out to us as amazing.

1) Our wedding date:
For the longest time, Matt and I talked about getting married on July 13th, not July 6th. We were afraid to do it on a holiday weekend, that people wouldn't be able to come, or that we'd interfere with other people's plans. But, because of the Lord's Sovereignty. NOT chance. We landed on July 6th. And Bud was able to stand by my husband, as his best man, and experience one of the happiest days of his life as a father.

2) Bud's toast:
Because we had our wedding a week earlier, Bud was able to give my husband a toast, a challenge, and words of encouragement. He got to tell my husband that he was proud of him. That he was man enough. And give him words of advice on how to love & serve me. This stands out because due to the absolute sudden nature of Bud's passing, it's possible that their last words may have been mundane, routine, or even filled with frustration or some other negative emotion. We are so thankful that Matt got to spend meaningful time with his dad that weekend, and that we were able to receive wisdom and encouragement from him

3) Bud was not keeping Grayson:
Those of you who knew Bud know that he was retired and was in part time Early Childhood Development (aka; he kept his 3 year old granddaughter several days a week). However, on that day, he was not. This is such a relief and a point of peace for her parents and all of us. Grayson will be able to cherish memories of her Poppy without having to remember him in that way. We are beyond thankful. 

These, along with many others, are the reasons that Matt & I will bring praise. Right now and for all of our lives. We encourage you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment